Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Some Late Pictures

The Dome of the Rock!  We couldn't go inside, but the outside is pretty miraculous so I was just fine with that.
This is a holy site for a few reasons: it is where the Muslims (who built the Dome during the Early Arab period in 687 AD) believed Muhammad ascended to paradise, where Abraham was commanded to sacrifice Isaac, and was the site of Solomon's temple.
Turkish tiles were added during the Ottoman period; the Turks must have great style.
At the other end of this Temple mount, there is the al-Aqsa Mosque--it needs some credit too.  This whole mount is just an incredible site built inside the Old City. I'd like to thank them for giving Jerusalem such a beautiful symbol.
Lindsey and I on the Rampart Walk--walking on the wall of the Old City. The view from above was incredible!
The kids here in Jerusalem make me so happy!  They play at the park below the "Mormon University" and always ask us to play soccer with them.  How could we say no to those faces? They love us and we love them just as much.  We could even practice our Arabic lingo with them.  Habibdi! Xoxo
This is Bethlehem to the far left, you can't see much of it, but behind me is the Shepherd's valley.  While we looked out to the valley where the angel of God appeared to the shepherd's, we sang the song, "Far far away, on Judea's plains." I had the biggest smile on my face as I sang that song thinking of that special night in Bethlehem when Christ was born.  How joyful and overcome with the Spirit the humble shepherds must have felt when the angel proclaimed, "I bring glad tidings of great joy!"


No comments:

Post a Comment