Wednesday, January 16, 2013

City Life

The Old City is such a remarkable place; I could spend all day just in the Old City and never get bored. Everywhere you look there is something that catches your eye.  It's busy and noisy and crazy; I almost bought about ten things today because I wanted everything!  That and the merchants are such good salesmen who just treat me so nicely.  The colors that surround the streets look so beautiful--I think I'm inspired.
Today after classes, we went out into the Old City and West Jerusalem.  When I think about which place I like better, I simply can't decide... they are completely different.  The Old City is exciting with so many places to look and find and sites to see!  West Jerusalem is more city-like lifestyle with bigger buildings, more spaces, modern shops and restaurants, and almost feels European to me (not like I've ever been to Europe).  There was where I tried my first falafel... interesting, strangely delicious.  I love both places though;  it is nice Jerusalem has both feels about it.
Favorite part of today:
We found Ali Ababba's!  I was so happy because I've heard so much about this shop from my parents and past BYU students who have came to Jerusalem.  His shop lives up to the reputation too, the shop keeper and his son are some of the nicest guys I've met here.  They know all about us Mormons and have specially made BYU Jerusalem shirts for us and scripture holders and all sorts of things.  They even let us try on traditional Arab dresses to take pictures in.  They were so much fun.
Another highlight was on our way home form the city (I love calling Jerusalem Center home), when surprisingly I ran into three very happy little girls.  When I said ran into, I really mean it--they came running at me giving me a huge hug and grabbed my hands and legs while asking my name.  This surprise made me so incredibly happy the girls were so cute!  I haven't felt so much love from little kids that I've never met, and I just ate it up.  I want to have so much love for others as those little girls showed me.  Those smiles can make any day better; even when you thought you were having a pretty great day already!

Pools of Bethesda within the Old City
We made friends at Ali Baba's shop! The shop keepers Omar and Shaban let us dress up and we had so much fun! They are famous for all the LDS visitors and they live up to their reputation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment