Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Casual Weekend?

How awesome is it that a casual weekend for me involves going to the Garden of Gethsemene, Orson Hyde gardens, seeing the Jews bring in the Sabbath at the Western Wall, the Dome of the Rock, walking in the Old City (and above it on the wall), and going to St. Vincent's home for disabled children...  What a loaded sentence.  All of these experiences are life changing, and I had them in one weekend.
Even though this whole weekend has been amazing, with incredible views and amazing sights and new experiences, the most impacting part of today was going to the home for children with special needs.
I cannot get over how fast those kids can make me happy.  The kids at St. Vincents did not talk, they did not walk, but they taught me more than I could express.  From a simple smile or look in the eyes, my heart just felt warm.  I know these children are so loved by our Heavenly Father, so pure, that they could not be tempted by the normal things we are tempted by.  Not only are their spirits perfect and loving, but the caretakers there are angels.  That place is so full of happiness.  There is a special spirit there that just makes those who enter smile with complete bliss.
I'm so blessed to have these opportunities to serve here in the Holy Land. I have so many incredible adventures and experiences here it makes me wonder, why am I so blessed?  My mind is still blown when I realize I'm here.

No comments:

Post a Comment