Friday, January 18, 2013

Reflective Friday

Marhaba! (That means hello in Arabic)

Friday's might be some of my favorite days.  Not only is it the beginning of the weekend, but we got do a service activity and go to the Western Wall--commonly referred to as the wailing wall.
Being in Jerusalem is so incredible already, but I was having withdrawals from not singing or dancing...  so, today healed that a little bit.  Here at the Jerusalem Center, we blasted the tunes as we put together hygiene kits in the best assembly line I've ever seen.  I've never been a part of a service project that was so much fun!  Everyone was singing along, dancing, and putting the kits together so fast that it was almost like a race.  The total number we assembled is 2100!!! How amazing is that; we finished in under two hours and the time flew by.  Jerusalem Center students are all great.  We have so many different personalities here but we all have so much fun and I love it already.  
In the late afternoon, we all took a walk to the Western Wall.  I can't even describe what a great experience that was.  Tonight the Jews celebrate the coming of their Sabbath as the sun set.  Every weekend they do this; what a party.  Everyone was singing and dancing with their arms around each other and a bible in hand.  Seeing this amount of dedication and bliss that religion brings to these Jews, really inspired me.  I want to be as enthusiastic about my beliefs as they are about theirs.  At first, I was caught up in the fun of the evening and what an amazing sight I was looking at... but then I realized that this location means so much more to me than seeing how Jews bring in their Sabbath day.  
It is hard sometimes to remember significant events or why something is supposed to be special, so you have to stop and think.  After I got through my initial awe and wonder of where I was and my fascination at what Jews do here, I thought to myself, "why is this place sacred to me?"  Thinking about this wall during Jesus' time is what changed my mood.  I can't even imagine how old this place is.  So much has come out of God's teachings--think of all the religions who declare this place and the Dome of the Rock holy.  It was a strange phenomena for me that this place didn't seem too sacred to me at first, but then I thought about what it stood for in the Jewish perspective.  When I thought of what it meant to them, I reflected on my own beliefs.  It's amazing how fast and meaningful a day can be when you just decide to change your thought process.  Focus on the Savior--I've found when I do, my day is always better and a lot more meaningful.  This is a new goal of mine I just decided.
Golgatha--where Christ was crucified
This picture wasn't taken Friday, but it fits in with the title being another reflective experience. 


No comments:

Post a Comment