Saturday, March 23, 2013

Crossing the continents whaddup... Europe and Asia in one day

Long day on the bus, driving to our next adventure. 
This picture looks like everyone is reading... but I promise we had fun times on the bus; it was a party on these road trips.

I'm not complaining about the drive... the countryside is breathtaking. 

Let's just say I couldn't have been happier to be greeted with this amazing blue water at our lunch spot. Now we have reached the Dardanelles Strait connecting the Sea of Marmara and the Aegean Sea. Can you believe how aquamarine the water is! 

Obsessed with this place.  I'd like a quaint little boat to sail away in.

Our first sight today, Gallipoli battlefield memorial/Anzac--Australian-New Zealand Army Core.
 This battle was during the Ottoman Empire during the First World War. Heavy casualties on both sides makes this a somber area for all who had families or friends involved. We had a devotional at this sight, learning that peace does not only come from no war. 
D&C 98:15-16 "Renounce war and proclaim peace."  Elder Oaks said we do this by sharing the Gospel of the Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ. 
(From here, we could see an island of Greece! I want to go there too! So close, yet so far!)

We call her "Brave." She's our little princess except she doesn't have an Irish accent and all the other things about the princess in that movie besides the hair. Speaking of hair, she did mine. 
Here we are on our ferry ride crossing the Dardanelles Strait now venturing into the Asian side of Turkey, known as Anatolia. 

I've never seen so many cars (and busses!) on a ferry.
I absolutely love being on the water. 

We made it to Troy!! Check out this ancient siege ramp. If the battle of Troy actually even took place... this would have been where the Trojan horse could have been brought up with. Curious thought eh? So many stories surround this legend, if only we knew the truth behind it.

Yup... That's what the Trojan horse would have looked like... if it wasn't being renovated while we visited. A bunch of people thought this was a huge disappointment, we mostly just laughed about our luck.  We were joking that seeing the Trojan horse under construction was even more rare to see than the actual Trojan Horse.

Laughing inside I promise

This is the backyard of our hotel... BEST SURPRISE EVER

Can you just see how happy we are being by the sea? I can tell you I was out there until I had to hit the pillow. I wish I could have taken a picture of the starry night, I couldn't get enough of it.

Jelly??? 

The water was cold! I didn't mind though, I was happy as a clam just to be there. (My feet are in the water but you can't see from this picture. Sorry.)


Of course I was thinking of you! 
From the seas surrounding Turkey, you guys are always on my mind :)

We were advised to not have all 80 of us out on the small pier at the same time... oops. 

Our hotel :)

Joey, this one is for you. We named him Lenny. 
He is the most chill dog I've ever met, and he loved me what can I say. 

Cheese! For you mom, I'm happy. Did I already say that? 

Great friends in a great place make for a great trip.

My roomie found these pretty shells so I took a picture to show you.
Goodnight :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment