Friday, March 22, 2013

Istanbul not Constantinople

First full day in Istanbul 
This reminded me of Mary Poppins!

Is it scary that my face resembles the stuffed flower's? 
Mr. Sparkle helped guide our group through the crowded streets of Turkey.

Sultanahmet Mosque (Blue Mosque) 
What an incredible sight! Right on the coast of the Bosphorous Strait, this mosque is gorgeous inside and out. The inside is full of detailed blue tiles from the Ottoman Empire, which is why its' nickname is the Blue Mosque. When it was being built, the six minarets caused controversy because the Grand Mosque in Mecca had six also.  Sultan Ahmed solved that problem by hiring a builder to add another minaret to the Mecca mosque. Smart man. 

Inside the Sultanahmet Mosque
Anne and I always have fun together.

Hagia Sophia 
Once it was an Orthodox basilica, then a mosque, now a museum. It's right across the street from the Sultanahmet Mosque; just in a short walk I've seen so much!

Topkapi Palace Gate
Also right across the street from the Hagia Sophia.
Looks like Disneyland!

Everything I see is exquisite. 

I could probably live in a palace... I mean, if I had to.

Strike a pose! 
Castle lifestyle with KC

Inside part of the Palace. 
We love the headscarves, they especially make Chloe's eyes pop. 

Just walking along the street  

Can't get enough of the palace. 

Beautiful Turkish tiles!

Our cute lunch spot. We're classy.

Basilica Cistern
Largest underground cistern build by Emperor Justinian in the 6th century, beneath the city of Istanbul (formerly Constantinople). It was used to give water to the palace during his reign. Today there are fish swimming in it! 


Medusa Head! 
There are two of them in the cistern, they both hold up columns.

The Grand Bazaar!!!

Some of my favorite friends

I'm obsessed with Turkish art! 

We got to ride a boat around Bosphorous Strait.
I already knew this about me... but this cruise reaffirmed this thought: I have to live by the sea. The seaside makes me so incredibly happy, even giddy for no reason besides just being there gazing at its majestic beauty. 

The view along the coast of Istanbul is a wonder. 
Mosques are everywhere! 

See how beautiful it is? I love it.

Another castle off the coast!? Sure! 
Yeah I see those in California all the time... no big deal.

Another thing I love about Turkey is their nation's pride.  Notice the flag even in the background on top of the hill? I counted about eight huge flags just across the horizon.

Ending a great day in Istanbul with a great Turkish meal!





No comments:

Post a Comment