Sunday, March 24, 2013

Assos and Pergamon

Bright and early we arrived at the base of our next sight, Assos, to be greeted by some grazing sheep by the sea. 

We hiked up a cute little village of mostly shops, to get to Assos.  It was early so not all the stands were open as you can see. 

We reached our destination on the hilltop. 
These are the remains of the Temple of Athena.
There was a dog here that I named Old Yeller because he looks like him, just meandering around the ancient ruins and being our little hiking buddy.  How sweet is his life living up here? 

hi. high?

This picture doesn't even do this place justice.  Assos had the most beautiful view I've maybe ever seen. I could have stayed there for hours just gazing at what I saw around me.  

Ancient ruins galore.

Judd bus represent

Two Turkish words: Bayan--women; Bay--men
Also, great bathrooms. Squatters were great. 

I wish I could magically transport you to this spot.
Being here is the perfect gorgeous atmosphere to reflect about life and the Savior Jesus Christ. I felt so at peace. The sun was glistening over the rippling water below, I could see tiny ships and birds flying below me, and the outline of an island in the horizon. The soft breeze felt so great against me, and I couldn't get over how beautiful the earth is. Down the coast I could see coves, and every color was so vibrant! This view is breathtaking.
This is our view as we listened to a spiritual thought about Paul's mission. 
 In Acts 16, 17, and 20, Paul's mission regarding Assos is mentioned.  He walked here, in order to maybe find and help someone in need.  Where we came from at our last hotel was overlooking Troas--where Paul had a vision of a man in Macedonia who needed him.  This is a lesson to us to be in tune with the spirit so we can receive promptings to help others and be an answer to somebody else's prayer.  When Paul walked here, he undoubtedly helped others along the way. At our spiritual thought, we talked about a few different aspects of Paul's mission...  
One: as Paul preached, a man fell asleep from the window.  Paul does not anger at this man's lack of listening, but he quickly heals him.  God is patient with us as he tries to teach us too, continually healing us as we fall down as He is so easily providing us with the guide to life.  
Two: Paul was commanded not to preach in a certain area on his mission, just to serve.  This is very applicable to us Latter-day Saints here in Jerusalem because we too cannot speak of what we believe in our religion.  By obedience, Paul was awarded and was able to open up gates and areas to receive the Gospel.  Paul's service helped many, and ultimately helped them save their lives by bringing them the true message of happiness. I can find myself as Paul in this story in multiple ways.  In Jerusalem, I can be an example.  Us students can open doors of curiosity just by representing Christ.  The people in the city know us and love us, maybe we can touch someone's life by just being a Christlike person.  Service opens doors too and I've been blessed to have many of those opportunities, like Paul.  He is a great example of somebody who dedicated his life to Christ, walking where God would have him walk, saying what God would have him say.  We sang "I'll go where you want me to go," as we sat on this hill.  The lyrics became real as I looked across the coast where Paul walked those many miles, as I thought of all the new missionaries going where God wants them to go; as I thought to myself, I want to go wherever God will have me go and say whatever God wants me to say.  I just need to make sure I am in tune with the Spirit to know exactly what that is God will have me do. 


After another long bus ride, our next stop... Pergamon!  
This picture is in our gondola ride up to the hill it sits on; it was so windy, we were afraid for our lives! Jk, we were fine as you can see from the smiles. 

No explanation needed. 

That's a pretty cool view too I guess... :) 



We almost blew away, McCall and I. 

Hunter! 

Escaped the wind in this pretty tunnel.

Daisies were EVERYWHERE! 
I didn't think daisies had a smell, but the aroma (not to mention the scenery too) on that hill was marvelous. 


Steepest Greek theater in antiquity. 

This place is fun to explore! 

SO MANY DAISIES AHH!
 I love them and just want them all around me!

On top of the world!

Scaling a mountain... with ancient stone stairs that are actually a theater with an amazing natural backdrop of the whole city. Check. 

Bus drive break! We are excited about our Turkish treats.
End of a great day, out next hotel was amazing too I'll update on my next post!


No comments:

Post a Comment