Sunday, August 11, 2013

Last Week of Christ's Life, Day 2

Words cannot describe my love for this place and the feelings I had going through Christ's last week with all my Jerusalem classmates.

Orson Hyde Garden
First thing in the morning we walked through Orson Hyde Gardens, here is my bud Lisa Judd. She is one of the smartest little girl I've ever met!
I think it's pretty neat Orson Hyde has a garden dedicated to him. The true church still has its' remains here in the Holy Land!

The garden is beautiful. 
I can only imagine how gorgeous it would be if the Church could still take care of it.

 Garden of Gethsemane
Today, we spent a good amount of time in the Garden of Gethsemane.
The Church of All Nations (which commemorates Christ's Atonement) is to the left of the picture. We went to a quieter area, away from tourists where we could sit and reflect and listen to the Spirit. 
These trees are all Olive Trees. 
We began by hearing a few testimonies and thoughts, which always strengthens me. Then we had time on our own to ponder and pray and reflect on Christ.

Forget me not :) 
I didn't even realize how special it was to see that one other forget-me-not flower in Galilee... that flower reminded us all of President Uchtdorf's touching lesson involving this flower. Little did we know that the very next week he would be staying with us students at the BYU Jerusalem Center. Now I found this little precious flower once again, after I hugged sweet President Uchtdorf! 
What a tender mercy of the Lord to show me this small flower. It is so tiny, but emanates such beauty and wonder. I especially like the irony in this picture: a forget-me-not flower with an Olive tree behind it. May we never forget what Jesus suffered for us in this Garden of Gethsemane, and His miraculous atonement for the sins of us all. 

The name Gethsemane means "oil press" or "olive press" in Hebrew.

Trunks of the Olive Tree grow around the middle base, so the middle can die and become hollow, while the outside is young and living. These trees are older than the average eye would assume. Interesting too... the trunks look sad almost. There may just be more symbolism within the Olive tree and Garden of Gethsemane than we even know.

Spending quiet time here on my own was a peaceful way to think of the Atonement.
Time to reflect and write my thoughts is so valuable and much needed to nourish the spirit within us. I love this place, and I'm extremely grateful for the time I've spent here.

Church of St. Anne/Pool of Bethesda
My lil' bud and I again. 
I've made it a short tradition to light a candle in every church possible. I appreciate the gesture to show respect and think this is a beautiful way to do so. I also had fun doing it; this act made me feel special.

The acoustics in this building were the most incredible I've ever heard. 
Either that, or this experience singing here was unforgettable because I felt the spirit stronger than ever as we sang songs special to our heart as a Jerusalem family. 

We don't want to leave this place or each other!

Ruins of Bethesda

From my first outing in the city, to one of my last. I've come full circle and it just seems fitting. 
Funny how things work out like that... Tender mercy of the Lord.

 The Garden Tomb
And finally, my favorite place in the entire country. 
What a perfect place to end here.

How special to have this sacred spot to ourselves.

I will never forget my experiences here in the Holy Land. 
Jesus Christ lives and loves you today! 
I'd be lost without my Savior but I am so grateful I don't have to be! It is amazing to me, it really is.  I am forever indebted to Him and hope to just live my life in a way that can be worthy of His perfect and unwavering love.


No comments:

Post a Comment